Thursday, February 10, 2011

Criticisms of Paul Offit on Autism and Vaccines (NPR, Science Friday, 1/7/2011, transcript available)



by Craig Hamilton on Friday, January 7, 2011 at 6:52pm

My before the show Facebook comments:
Science Friday This Friday, Paul Offit joins us to talk about vaccines, autism and misinformation.
Comment 1:
Me:  I suggest that by stimulating the immune system through vaccinations, we are triggering autism spectrum disorders. Historically, only about 7 in 10,000 people were once diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. The studies that I am familiar with that show no correlation between autism and vaccines do not have a large enough sampling to show significance. The genes for schizophrenia are found within those of the immune system. Might the genes for autism be found there too?
Tuesday at 12:15am via Facebook Mobile

Comment 2:
Me:  My mom said I knew many words before I got vaccinated and then I stopped talking for an entire year after. My first psychotic episode was during my junior year of college. Before I started a gluten and casein free diet and taking an exorphinase pill my scores on a professional intelligence assessment were that my auditory comprehension was in the bottom 1% of people where my IQ typically showed 95th percentile in most areas, meaning I had answered all the questions correctly on many of the tests that combine to make the score. However, the test revealed that I had a poor short term memory. Since the special diet my short term memory and auditory comprehension have drastically improved. That is that I understand that though the dietary changes don't work for many people, they worked for me.
Wednesday at 3:58pm via Facebook Mobile

Comment 3:
If someone has a history of ASD in his or her family, given what we know, it is reasonable to consider not vaccinating.
3 hours ago via Facebook Mobile

My commentary Paul Offit on Science Friday 1-7-2011:

Comment 4:
Me: I listened to Offit and he misunderstands some of the fundamentals of medicine. There is not room for detail here. However, he indicates for example a belief in a common man's fallacy regarding bacteria; all bacteria are harmful. The exposure of bacteria that a newborn experiences is not relative to vaccines because the vast amount of bacteria are not harmful and thus not comparable to bacteria a child would experience from vaccination.
via Facebook Mobile


Comment 5:
Me: Other Offit fallacies. Let me paraphrase, "Since childrens' immune systems are stressed, it is good to stress them out even more." And, "doctors don't do unconscionable things, especially a large mass of them." Perhaps, Offit is unaware of what masses of doctors did during the Holocaust.
via Facebook Mobile


Comment 6:
Me: Yet another Offit fallacy, let me paraphrase, "At my hospital we know we have good doctors because they are all conformists. In order to be a doctor at my hospital, you must conform to our vaccination policy. That way we know you have what it takes to be on our team."
via Facebook Mobile

Transcripts are available for a fee @
http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/misc/faq/tapesandtrans.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Offit

5 comments:

  1. I recommend www.mercola.com for more information on vaccines and autism. A study was done recently that shows a link between the MMR vaccine and autism that Mercola reports on. This was not the original study that caused a doctor to lose his license.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information surrounding the initial study surrounding the MMR vaccine and autism is fishy. Seriously, why would a doctor put his license on the line to make such an audacious claim? If he were simply looking for funding, then he could have published on something trivial that would be overlooked.
    Consequently, with regard to autism and the MMR vaccine link, I believe that there has been a government cover up. This is that the I believed the gov't sabotaged the data of the scientist that showed the link. Think of it. If autism and vaccines were linked, and I believe that they are, the gov't would owe oodles of damages to its citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are all these new severe allergies coming from? Could it be that vaccines are playing a role since they add stress to an immune system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://futurism.com/study-of-1-3-million-kids-reveals-no-link-between-vaccines-and-autism/ ~ please note: This is only a study of children. Before my 1st psychotic episode hospitalization, I was in my 20s and was attending college. I was not a child. What this means is that this Journal's finding has no relation to me and my psychological condition, which I have yet to find a study sufficient to deny that vaccines are rarely bad news for a small minority.

    ReplyDelete