Sunday, June 5, 2011

Magic the Gathering Pauper Deck Commander/EDH w/Momir Vig

By Craig Hamilton on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 6:28pm



Magic the Gathering Pauper Deck Commander/EDH w/Momir Vig


General: Momir Vig, Simic Visionary (rare)
This general costs 5 mana to play; it is costly.
It is essentially a general by proxy because you end up searching you deck for a good card rather than relying on Momir Vig itself. Thus, it is almost like playing with a personality disorder.
Because it is not the best general, I suggest not taking such a deck too seriously. The goal should not be winning the game though you don’t want the deck to suck.
Because this is a Commander/EDH deck you want the deck to revolve around the general/commander.
In order to play the commander quickly, I believe in putting 20 Islands and 20 Forests in the deck. Momir Vig is blue and green.
In order to increase my chances of playing Momir Vig and some of the other cards in the deck, I have a lot of cards that give mana. These cards all cost 3 mana or less because there is no benefit by the fourth turn of a mana producing card for casting Momir Vig. If I include having Seek the Horizon (4 mana w/1 green) this is like having a 55 mana deck. This also makes them easier to play in the beginning of the game, which is important because late in the game with Momir Vig, I can simply search for big creatures, though it means that I don’t have time for these. These are:
Jorga Treespeaker
Uncommon
Costs 1 green mana
Activated ability produces two extra green mana
Consider not leveling up beyond level 1
Silver Myr
Common
Costs 2 colorless mana
Activated ability produces one extra blue mana
Llanowar Elves
Common
Costs 1 green mana
Activated ability produces one green mana
Palladium Myr
Uncommon
Costs 3 colorless mana
Activated ability produces 2 colorless mand
Farhaven Elf
Common
Costs 3 mana w/1 green
Search for a basic land card
Kozilek’s Predator
Common
Costs 4 mana w/1 green
Makes two colorless Eldrazi tokens which can be sacrificed for 1 mana each
Cultivate
Common
Costs 3 mana w/1 green
Search for two basic lands. Play one. Take the other to your hand.
Wirewood Elf
Common
Costs 2 mana w/1 green
Activated ability produces 1 green mana
Awakening Zone
Rare
Costs 3 mana w/1 green
Each turn gives an Eldrazi token, which can be sacrificed for 1 mana.
Kodama’s Reach
Same as Cultivate
Copper Myr
Common
Costs 2 colorless mana
Activated ability taps for 1 green mana
Fyndhorn Elder
Uncommon
Costs 3 mana w/1 green
Activated ability taps for 2 green mana
Greenweaver Druid
Same as Fyndhorn Elder
Growth Spasm
Common
Costs 3 mana w/1 green
Search for a basic land
Put an Eldrazi token on the battlefield
Seek the Horizon
Many of these cards that produce mana are creature cards, such that they work well with blue creature cards through the Commander’s abilities. For example, if I have a blue card that costs 2, and a green card that costs 3, I can search for a card and take it to my hand. So, blue cards I have in this deck that cost 3 mana or less are.
Zephyr Sprite
Common
Costs 1 blue mana
Flying
Briarberry Cohort
Common
Costs 2 mana w/1 blue
Flying
Flying Men
Same as Zephyr Sprite
Aether Figment
Uncommon
Costs 2 mana w/ 1 blue
Unblockable
Sage Owl
Common
Costs 2 mana w/1 blue
Flying
Metathran Soldier
Common
Costs 2 mana w/1 blue
Unblockable
Cloud Sprite
Same as Flying Men and Zephyr Sprite
Additionally, I included several other cards that are both green and blue. Thus, by themselves they have the ability to cause me to search for and take to my hand a creature card. These cards are all 5 mana or less, preferably less, as that allows me to play them along with something else. However, no more than five so I can be assured that I won’t be waiting a turn when I have my general out. That is, I hope to be playing my general by turn 4, and searching by turn 5. These multicolored cards are:
Nulltread Gargantuan (uncommon)
Winged Coatl (common)
Flying
Sturdy Hatchling (uncommon)
Grazing Kelping (common)
Shorecrasher Mimic (common)
Sometimes has trample
Pygmy Hippo (common)
Gaea’s Skyfolk (common)
Flying
Wood Sage (common)
Selkie Hedge-Mage (uncommon)
Assault Zeppelid (common)
Flying, Trample
Slippery Boggle (common)
Coiling Oracle (common)
Jungle Barrier (uncommon)
Elvish Visionary (common)
This card is only green. However, because of an ability it has, it works like a green and blue card.
Groundling Pouncer (uncommon)
So far, without Momir Vig, I have mentioned 72 cards. Most of them are small cards and don’t hit hard. That is where Gigantomancer (rare) comes. Gigantomancer allows me to make small cards into big cards, 7/7s, to be precise and very inexpensively. The problem is: Gigantomancer is really costly to play (8 mana), so I am lucky if I even get it out. However, once I do I can start taking on the world!!!
Gigantomancer
Uktabi Drake: I even thought to include Uktabi Drake (common, green, flying, haste) just to make sure I can have Gigantomancer attack ASAP. This card costs 1 mana so it is also good with the searching scenario.
Elvish Herder: Then, if any of my small hitters need additional beef along with Gigantomancer, I included Elvish Herder (common), which can give them trample. Elvish Herder also works well with Bellowing Tanglewurm, which is j.
This deck would be rather one dimensional if it only revolved on using Gigantomancer by proxy. That’s why I also have Bellowing Tanglewurm, which works really well if you are playing a non-green opponent. Thus, I have several heavy hitters in this deck, 4 mana or greater. Below I list the card, its rarity, and how much power it has. I only included 11 of these style cards because I consider them to be late in the game cards. Only 1 card costs 7 mana, and most of these cost 6 or less. Another reason I don’t need a lot of them is that is that with all the other cards that enable me to search my deck and take a card to my hand, I don’t need to have these so readily available.
Bellowing Tanglewurm (uncommon) 4
Silvos, Rogue Elemental (rare) 8
Aboroth (common) 9
Force of Nature 9
Pelakka Wurm (uncommon) 7
Baloth Woodcrusher (uncommon) 4 or 8
Ayumi, the Last Visitor (rare) 7
Phyrexian Hydra (rare) 7
Alpha Tyrranax (common) 6
Iwamori of the Open Fist (rare) 5
Witherscale Wurm (rare) 9
I found that I had too many cards in my hand, such that they weren’t working for me so I also included some creatures that cost zero mana. These can also work well with Gigantomancer.
Memnite
Uncommon
Ornithopter
Uncommon
Flying
L for lastly. Lastly, I figure I should have some care about what the other guy is doing. For example, has she played the card Vigor, such that I am in an attacking quandary? Or has he/she made an emblem for himself/herself, such that his/her creatures are completely protected from any sort of destruction. So, I included the following:
Thalakos Deceiver (common)
Volition Reins (uncommon)
Legacy’s Allure (common)
Cytoplast Manipulator (rare)
Spin into Myth (uncommon)
Domestication (uncommon)
M to be mean. There is nothing worse than losing to a deck full of commons. I don’t know of any common legendary creatures in Magic, so I don’t think that it is currently possible to make a Popper Commander deck. So, therefore at least the general is not a common. This is how this deck stacks up.
40 common lands
31 common cards
Total 71 common cards
19 uncommon cards
A total of 90 bargain bin cards.
9 rare cards
1 card that has no rarity listing because it is too old. 

1 comment:

  1. I have since improved this deck. This one is really not that great and I wouldn't recommend it.

    ReplyDelete