Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Pharisees' Theoretical Discussion With Jesus


Jesus: I have not come to abolish, but to fulfill the law.

Me: You did not fulfill the Law. Let me give you just one example. You have no children. The law says (for men only), "Be fruitful and multiply." It is the very first command of the Torah. Even if having children would be innappropiate for Jesus (as God), you are left with that fact that if he was God, then he could not fulfill the Law.


Jesus probably would have replied to me, "Woe to you Pharisees and experts in the Law."

To which, I would have replied: If the following verses are not a call to be experts in the Law, I don't know what is -
Joshua (1:8) This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth, but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein; for then thou shalt make thy ways prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
Psalm (1:2) But his delight is in the law of YHWH; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
Psalm (77:13) I will meditate also upon all Thy work, and muse on Thy doings.'
Psalm (119:15) I will meditate in Thy precepts, and have respect unto Thy ways.


Jesus would have replied, "You hypocrites."

To which I would have replied:
Isaiah 60:21: "And your people are all righteous, they shall inherit the land forever. They are the branch of My planting, the work of My hand in which to take pride."


Jesus would have replied, "You are of your father the Devil, and the lust of your father you will do."

To which I would have replied:
The love of Israel is love of G-d. For it is written (Deuteronomy 14:1), "You are children of the L-rd your G-d"; when one loves the father one loves the children - Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov

No comments:

Post a Comment