Friday, October 9, 2009

Gay Adoption

Gay Adoption
One of the big issues facing the USA is gay adoption. Should gay people be allowed to adopt? Most opponents are conservatives that trumpet family values. Some people might find distaste for this essay because it comes from the gay state, MA, which even has a gay Congressman, Barney Frank. This is why I don’t expect to change any of the religious right through writing or whatever means. Generally, I have distaste for the religious right, but I recall the days when I began to join ranks with them. I think every true liberal has considered the religious right, or he or she will at sometime. People leave the religious right as fast as they join. It is an entity that doesn’t go away. One person leaves, and then another person joins, so in that sense the argument of the religious right will never be silenced with regard to gay adoption.
I, myself, support gay adoption. I am not gay though. I am happy for the most part, but not gay. That old usage of gay is obsolete. There are reasons for this of course, and these are what I intend to put in this essay.
Gay adoption is as having any parents. All parents have their oddities. Of course, I am not saying parents have bisexual or gay tendencies, but I am saying is that humans are all somewhat weird. I never meet anyone that is straight up normal in every sense of the word. Maybe such things aren’t true in other states. Take for instance me, I am bipolar. Take for instance my wife. She has problems with spending. Take for instance obese or diabetic people, which now possibly make up the majority of the population. Gay is just another one of these oddities. It should not dictate whether or not one should be able to adopt a child, just as mental illness should not be a reason for not letting someone own a gun.
There may be a correlation with improper behavior, even sexual molestation and gayness. I don’t know, and I don’t really care. Take for instance Congressman Frank, mentioned above. Certainly, he would be a good parent. Why would we base actions on something based upon a correlation if that is true? Such thinking can only be far too liberal for legislation, as there also might be a correlation between mothers being better parents then fathers, but nobody says because of that fathers should not be able to adopt! Whatever happened to innocent before proven guilty? That is, liberal in thinking should also lead to allowing liberal actions under the law.
Could it possibly be traumatic if the rest of the class finds out that two men are parenting a boy? I believe that this could provoke some classmate ridicule, but that’s what authoritarian teachers are for; to punish kids that misbehave. This sort of ridicule should not be reason to prevent a child from having a father or a mother! I should think the adopted child would be happier to have a mother and a father that care for him or her than none at all. Again, all parents have oddities. There is always some confusion in every household. I don’t see any reason behind prying into people’s personal lives over an issue such as sexuality.
This leads to another issue. The stupid question of: What if the gayness rubs off on the child? Personally, I don’t believe that this can occur. I don’t believe gay fathers can condition a child to be gay, but even if a child became gay by the wishes of his fathers’: Would it be the worst thing in the world? There are enough people in this world that nobody has to worry about there not being enough humans! Another gay person is that many less children to worry about. I love children, but I don’t feel that there is any societal impending need for them that we have to worry about gayness. I certainly don’t believe the small minded idea that gayness is a sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment