Sunday, October 18, 2009

Get Your Disorder Straight

Get Your Disorder Straight
By now I have said that I have autism, bipolar, and maybe I even thrown around the terms schizophrenia, ADD, and ADHD. What is it? Can’t I be straight? Truthfully, I walk home with a new diagnosis every month or so, and it’s always a bipolar one. That is that my bipolar likes to morph a lot, but there is some explaining to do.
I’ll mention schizophrenia occasionally because historically, autism was diagnosed as schizophrenia. That’s where the research comes in. Most of the research relative to the gluten and casein diet I have is relative to autism. I never walked home with that, autism, as a professional diagnosis though. Though I have had paranoia, I have never been diagnosed as a schizophrenic. However, I like to use the word schizophrenia because the most important early research for people that the gluten and casein diet works for were diagnosed schizophrenics.
I am also not the first paranoid person to benefit from the diet either. Mark Vonnegut, was diagnosed schizophrenic, and became so cured that he became a doctor afterwards and wrote a book on it, which inspired the doctor currently treating me with the gluten free and casein free diet. As it is, that disease is probably rare enough that nobody has yet given it a name. That rare one, I am cured from. Really, it’s not schizophrenia or autism because it can be cured. However, bipolar I am not cured from.
There is a problem though with the people those that get cured that need the gluten free and casein free diet. That problem is bipolar. It happens for a reason, and not necessarily because it’s in any sort of genetic makeup. Rather, the bipolar is a response to cutting out the gluten and casein. See, the way these compounds, gluten and casein, are diagnosable is as opiates in urine, specifically gliadorphin and casomorphin. Not everyone with autism or schizophrenia has this problem with the opiates though. Psychiatrists usually treat symptoms rather than underlying biochemical problems. Naturally, these two urine opiates are very similar words to gluten and casein because they are derivatives. In fact, I once bought a book on schizophrenia that noted how schizophrenics often appear very similar to opium addicts. Over twenty years of opiate in one’s body is bound to do a central nervous system some mood regulating damage, especially when I was developing as an infant.
There are many biochemical pathways in the body, and the dopamine pathway is one of them. For certain, the dopamine pathway in my body is damaged, which is probably a second enzyme, sort of relative to the first, the gluten and casein pathway, were the problem is an exorphin enzyme. I might also have bipolar because I was born with it, as I wouldn’t be the only family member to have it. Thus, the causes of my bipolar are definitely one fold, and possibly two fold, but both folds are to the dopamine or dopaminergic pathway. Dopamine is important in all these diseases of which now I only have bipolar.
For anyone that needs to know my present diagnosis, such as a doctor, it’s not important. All another doctor needs to know is that I have a mood disorder, bipolar. Autism is history, cured when it was first found, no need to diagnose me with an incurable illness when I have been cured thanks to alternative medicine.
ADD and ADHD are acronyms that I sometimes throw around. I once went to a seminar that said everyone with a mood disorder suffers from ADHD. This is true. I have bipolar. Attention deficit describes some of the symptoms I have, but it is not a diagnosis. The same is true with OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder. That is I experience some of the symptoms of this disorder, OCD, but it is not a diagnosis. In particular, the symptoms I suffer from are hypergraphia, writing too much and hyper-religiosity. I do these things obsessively. Sometimes I have panic attacks and anxiety if I don’t get to write, or if I don’t get to study religion. It’s also very hard for me to get out of obsessive writing and religiosity. It’s like I can’t switch gears because my focus on them becomes so strong. However, all that stuff for me is symptoms of bipolar, and not OCD, or ADHD.

No comments:

Post a Comment