Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Quasi-Jewish II

Quasi-Jewish II
Judaism views people as either gentile or Jew. Judaism does recognize a period of time where one can be a convert, but has not yet gone to the mikvah and received the commandments of Moses. That is one can be a ger if he or she identifies with the Jews as a tribe. There is a period of time where one can be a ger, but can still leave Judaism. Only after the mikvah, there is no way out. Rabbis are not required to recognize this status of quasi-Jewishness because such a person has not yet received the Torah. Rabbis are more concerned with officiated conversion where there is an immersion in a mikvah, and whether or not a ger is sincere to Judaism.
It’s sort of like marriage. The Mishnah or the Oral Law of Judaism records that sexual intercourse is one way to produce marriage. This is that no ceremony is needed, but most people want the ceremony. Historically, people were married at younger ages, and a more age appropriate time for marriage, and as a result premarital sex was less of a factor. In the modern world of the USA, people are more eager to test each other as sexual partners first, though this is not the norm. Rabbis though are usually not concerned with sexual intercourse making marriages. They are concerned with marrying people by ceremony in the traditional way. The Talmud also knows of a way to convert without the blessing of a Rabbi. In order for a conversion to be official, it has to be officiated.
Now on to my own story... I haven’t gone in a mikvah, nor do I plan on it. It’s not because I don’t believe that the mikvah or the tradition is a bad idea. It’s not because I want to be able to have a way out of Judaism. It is because I disagree with parts of Judaism, especially that I consider myself a Jew by ancestry though Christianity has invalidated that according to my heritage. I don’t believe Christianity can invalidate one’s Judaism, but rather for me it meant that I operated in stealth mode, never really accepting Christianity, but accepting it for having nothing better to do socially. I believe this is very common, and I have observed many Christians with similar ancestries to my own that I might consider as identifying more with the Torah than the nonsense of Christianity, but just not knowing it. These sorts of things have to happen by someone being very religiously bookish, like myself, while others are less, and thus don’t see the contradictions in Christianity though being very intelligent. Thus, I don’t see Christianity as making me perpetually unclean that I need to do something to make me symbolically clean. Symbolically clean doesn’t really mean anything to me.
Not hoping in the mikvah is partly because it won’t make my son Jewish. I am poor, and don’t want to be a burden to anyone. If I were converted, then it might mean that there wouldn’t be enough money for my son to do that at a future date. Why would I convert and make it official? To me it seems very selfish to desire at that ritual for myself. I would rather be assisting someone in need. Thus, not hopping in the mikvah is also partly because I don’t really feel that it is important in order for me to be an ethical person by observing parts of Jewish Law as I ordain, and not because I feel God has mandated that I do so.
I am quasi-Jewish because I do identify with the nation or tribe of Jews. I feel very comfortable with this because I don’t accept all of Judaism. Immersing in the mikvah for a conversion requires that one receives the entire Jewish Law. I don’t accept the entire Jewish law.
Partly, I won’t immerse because I feel that the Torah is bigoted. First, there is the issue over who is a Jew. That does not bother me, but making it difficult for people to convert officially does. I say this because theoretically by the Torah, gentile slaves never have to be freed, but Jewish slaves have to be freed at certain intervals. There are other reasons too. I also say this because there are Jewish Laws, such as feeding or selling a thing found already dead to the alien or gentile. Historically, I see this Law as outdated. I feed my pets such things, but I wouldn’t feed something like that to a human, nor do I consider doing so to be humane.
This surfaces an entirely new subject. Things aren’t as they have always been. History has progressed. Judaism has progressed in many ways too. Yet, what it is failing to recognized is that oodles of people identify with Jewish Law, many without knowing it, but do not consider themselves Jewish. As a quasi-Jew, I am more in the majority of people that identify more with Judaism than the mere seven Noachide Laws.
It’s not that I think someone that only observes these laws is bad though. Yet, in popular Judaism it seems that many Jews naively think that the Torah is not bigoted to gentiles or the sons of Noah. There is no reason for me to desire to receive this bigotry from the Torah, which I consider to be imperfect, but one of the best writings ever. Thus, I put myself to being quasi-Jewish.

No comments:

Post a Comment