Monday, April 27, 2009

Band Politics

Monday, April 27, 2009 

Current mood:  electric 
Category: Music

Band Politics

Drummers and bassists are always harder to find than singers and guitarists.  Sure, good guitarists are rare, but there is not much of a demand for them to play the local pubs.  The local pubs generally hire cover bands or karaoke DJs.  Then, there are places like Kendricks and the Embargo that hire someone to spin tracks.  I have no clue how hard it is to get a gig, but there are several Cape Cod bands, but there is a ton of clubs here.  It is a vacation spot.  Some bands might only play summers and do very well.

Overall, cover songs are not very interesting to me.  I like to do modal solo improvisations, and throw in a few jazz chords.  I have not played in a band for several years.  The last band I was in was a praise team, but I left because the soundman drove me crazy.  We played every week.  The same people, different songs, but he just could not stop twiddling the knobs.  Most importantly, if there were not problems, he would make one, and then use his superman complex to fix it.  This was very annoying.  He needed to feel that he was needed, such that he would save the day by having the sound fixed.  This angered me because we would be playing, and some sort of sound would come through the PA, and magically, out of his ass, he would find a way to fix it.  Of course, he knew how to fix it because he created it.  I guess that is why he worked free of charge.  Since, I was there attendance steadily increased.  People told me this was due to my playing, as I was the newbie to the band.

This is different from playing the club scene.  Practice is regular at that type of gig mentioned in the previous paragraph.  You can leave your equipment there.  I left mainly because I did not believe in the words to the song.  Yes, I was a two faced poser, and I did it to have a place to play my guitar.  People told me though that I was better than the previous guitarist that was also a poser, and would show up drunk for the gig.  However, finding a drummer outside of this place has been next to impossible for me.  Maybe it is because my personality is not very agreeable.  Alternatively, maybe, it is because I am not that popular and have never been so.  This attracts me to metal music, as I never felt I had to be cool to listen to it.  It was more along the lines of, just show up.

I have a friend that plays drums.  It is just that he likes different music than me.  He likes dynamics, and electric guitars get dynamics though the volume knob.  This drummer is like me.  He gets in a band, but the band might play one gig.  His last project was reggae.  He loved this music until he found that the band wanted him to play the same thing every time. He has not been listening to reggae as much though, mainly odd weird stuff in the vein of Frank Zappa.  Rather than play guitar, he wants me to play bass.  This is not very appealing to me, but I will take it.  Naturally, he does not like most of what is in my compact disk player so he does not want that to be the guitar.  I cannot argue.  He is the drummer and can be in charge because there are plenty of guitarists and few drummers.  I like distortion and he hates it.  He has since we were very young.  I do not change and neither does he. Thus, he wants to stick me on bass were he will not have to worry about my guitar sound selection, I assume.

The problem is that I do not have a bass.  The guitarist for the band has a bass at his house that belongs to someone else, but I am welcome to play it.  Even greater is that he would probably kick me out the band if he found a bassist, but these are hard to come by.  He kicked me out of a few bands earlier on due the whole distortion thing.  I like it because it adds sustain, and sounds great with harmonics and palm muting.  Therefore, I think to myself, why I would go purchase a bass and an amp.  It is not were my heart is.  In addition, “kicked out” is a reality for me.  This is not very pleasing to me.  Few want to play my style of music.  Moreover, I do not know of any near me.

I could try to get a gig at a local coffee shop, but most of these places require demos.  I bought an mp3 recorder, but it broke.  I read the instructions and it said that it was for vocal only.  I guess that is why it was cheap.  I recorded guitar sound, but it was for vocal sounds, such as speaking.  This is actually, what I used to record the mp3 on my home page atwww.myspace.com/crgnlsnhmltn.  In reality, I was only testing it to see how it worked then, but I thought the mp3 was funny, so I put it on the page.  I do not play keyboard.  My wife does and I had fun twiddling with the sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment