Saturday, April 25, 2009

What Is New on My Bookshelf...Jesus Interrupted - Ehrman


Current mood: 
 blessed 
Category: Religion and Philosophy

What Is New on My Bookshelf

Jesus Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman 2009

I heard him the other day on NPR, and then I saw his new book, so I figured might as will give it a read.  Additionally, I read his popular book Misquoting Jesus about a year ago after hearing a segment him on NPR.  His writing is methodical and easy to read.  In a competition between Ravi Zacharias and him, I consider him as the modern day C.S. Lewis.  That is that C.S. Lewis is enjoyable to read, while Ravi Zacharias is lots of big words and boring writing.  I also want to read Ehrman’s book After the New Testament: A Reader in Early Christianity, as he is an agnostic, and I feel no need to read any other evangelists spiels for Jesus.  This book, Jesus Interrupted, reminds me of my textbook for a New Testament class that I took. Taking a scholarly approach, it raises the same old questions of who is the author of each book and what are the obvious contradictions of the New Testament.  I have not finished reading the book yet, but I eagerly await a reading of the last chapter, “Is Faith Possible?”

Sefer Yetzirah - The Book of Creation: In Theory and Practice by Aryeh Kaplan and The Essential Zohar: The Source of Kabbalistic Wisdom by Rav P. S. Berg

Yada, yada, yada, Kaballah or Cabala is very popular among modern spiritualists and most of it is junk.  My opinion is, “So what?”  If people want to read it, then let them read it.  I have studied Tanya almost every day with Chabad Lubavitch, at the website, for a few years now based upon the works of Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Lydia. This man has gained popularity with the Jewish Renewal movement, and likewise I would consider it difficult enough to understand, such that it is esoteric.  Granted, Mitnagidim would probably laugh and be highly critical of me, but that does not bother me, as I like the material simply because it is different.  Likewise, although much of the material is about tzaddikim, that does not represent me, although I do like to read it.

The Jewish Study Bible featuring the Jewish Publication Society

This is a repurchase for me, as my initial copy is MIA.

The Mishnah: A New Translation by Jacob Neusner

The first section I read was Qiddushin, which is about marriage.  I knew all this information before, but I considered it highly relevant, as I have a friend who is now dating again after a marriage and a divorce to another woman.  I was talking about the peculiarities of how marriages come to be with him, as there is so much room for failure along the way.  Usually there is first the stage of dating.  This period of getting to know each other then begets a stage where erotic love is acceptable during dating.  Then, marriage ceremony or moving in together, whichever comes first or if they both happen at the same time ties the knot.  Personally, I would prefer betrothal to the modern system. If  a mate was recommended to me or my family by elders and then I could be separate until the marriage day where I’d simply be thrown into a room with her where we could fuck, I think that would be easier on me.  Generally, I consider that long progressive marriage ritual where sexual intercourse was not allowable at first, such that I might feel I have to deceive her or act as if I am not interested when it is in fact near and dear to me.  That is I do not take well to changes in relationships, and I do not believe mere dating infers anything about another’s compatibility in bed.

US History for Dummies by Steve Wiegand

The “For Dummies” series takes rather dense subject matter and turns it into light and fun reading.  Not surprisingly, the author selected Abraham Lincoln as the best President the USA ever had.  I figure this is all information that I should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment