Saturday, April 25, 2009

New Testament Fraud


My parents had me go to Church, but my mom hated the theology, and everything to do with the religion, such that her exact words when I picked up a New Testament and read it were, “That stuff is all crap. Nobody believes it.” Her reason for going to church was that it was a social club, and a place to make contacts, especially for her business. I can say that now as she nears retirement. Otherwise, I might have risked going hungry in a small town. To me those reasons for attending are quite a bit deceptive, and possibly downright disrespectful.

Similarly, I stopped being interested in the theological mess of Christianity after one of the pastor’s conclusions on his series on Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount “It just doesn’t make any sense.” By the time of that sermon series, I read the New Testament and was sure that the lion’s share of it was crap and a fraud.

The comment on this particular series was very important to me, as the Sermon on the Mount is most fundamentalists purported core ethic of Christianity. People still go to these places after hearing such things and many times words, such as these, fall on deaf ears, as common church goers never want to hear anything bad that might suggest that Christianity is a fraud or a cult religion. Additionally, there are a great deal of intelligent people at that church who don’t care at all for the religion and consider Sunday a day of social gathering, such as a place of small business networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment